Re: CYGWIN32 tools distribution CD-ROM?

Hi Paul,

[...]
>> I intend to offer something like that soon here on our German
>> Cygnus mirror.
>>
>>         ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/
>
>	The biggest concern in offering that sort of thing, especially for public
>uploading, is the risk of generating a new "warez" site.  These folks

The incoming directory will be world writable only - you can't download
anything from it. So one can put warez on it, but no one will have the
chance to get it.
All the files there have to get moved to their final destination by an
administrator.

[...]
>software and don't seem to care who they impact.  A European Mirror site,
>however, might be an excellent solution (hint...hint...nudge...nudge).

The mirror site is already up and running as announced a few times.

Since yesterday upload is possible, too.

    site: ftp.franken.de
    user: ftp/anonymous
password: <email address>

To get directly to the GNUWIN32 upload/incoming directory type
*cd gnuwin32:* - note the trailing colon.

>	The last ftp site that allowed what you are suggesting above, was
>shut down by the "warez" folks.  The admin didn't want to close it, but he
>couldn't leave his system vulnerable to "warez".  We lost a very good
>North American FTP site because of this...it was quite sad.

Sorry, I can't understand that - why didn't they restrict access as
described above ?

>	Peace,
>
>		Paul G.

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
-