RE: gzip converts stuff to 8.3 filenames

[Andrew Dalgleish]
This is not a gzip bug - the Explorer shell sends the short name.

I have a batch file, NotePad and WordPad in my "Send To" menu.
The batch file and WordPad both get the short name, but Notepad opens
the file using the long name.

I suspect that Notepad gets the short name, but then converts it by
calling FindFirstFile().

BTW, to expand a full path you need to call FindFirstFile() for each
directory level in the path, as well as the file name.

Regards,
Andrew Dalgleish

-