RE: DirectX and mingw..

On 28 Apr 98 at 19:31, the Illustrious Edward Avis wrote:

> >>	This seems strange...have you tried directly accessing the MS SDK via
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/msdn/sdk ?  Of course, I am in the US so I
> >>haven't had any problems with that.  You might want to give it a try...
> >
> >Yeah, that's exactly the site which I went to. They have completely stop
> >you from dling the sdk, athough it does come up with an order form for
> the
> >sdk on cd.
>
> What is the SDK then?

	The SDK is all the basic headers and libs you need to build applications
using VisualStudio (tm, MS), VisualC/C++ (tm, MS) or VisualBasic (tm, MS)
that MS makes available from your local software retail outlet for the
"mere" expense of an arm or a leg...(yes, I am cynical when it comes to
MS-- it comes from a large dose of frustration with MS that has been
injected into the software development market over the years).

>  I managed to download some stuff, the same sort of
> thing you get on MSDN CDs (i.e. everything you need, except the most
> important part, a compiler toolchain).

	"Aye...there's the rub...", MS wants you to buy their development tools,
thus they will not willingly supply anything that is remotely related to
successful development of Win32 or any subset of Win32 without
requiring some expense on your behalf, including a portable Win32 API for
GCC or any portable subset of the Win32 API.  Thus the niche was created
for Gnu-Win32 development tools.  From what I can tell, this applies to
the Borland and Watcom development environments as well.

	The Win32 API that is being used by the Gnu-Win32 build environments such
as EGCS, Cygwin32 or Mingw32-gcc were completely developed, based on the
first version of Win32, from scratch.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

Information Systems Consultant