Re: Libtool that does DLL's??

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Geoffrey Noer wrote:

> The real piece or development work remaining with dll building is
> integrating dlltool into ld.  This is something we intend to do at
> some point (I hope sooner rather than later).

Yes! On that note, I do have the patches to make GCC understand dllimport
and dllexport attributes which life a lot easier when dealing with DLLs.
Anybody who wants it, email. I have yet to integrat the patches into the
egcs development snapshots so that it makes it into egcs-1.1 release.

__attributes__((dllimport)):
  - tested for C. Works as far as my tests go.
  - C++ is *very* problematic. For example the following will not work
    given the way the C++ front end works currently:

       // file scope.
       __attribute__((dllimport)) int dll_imported_variable;
       int* local_variable = &dll_imported_variable;

    There are other issues for C++ as well, and those will take a while to
    hash out.

__attributes__((dllimport)):
  - Looks ok when I look at the disassembled output, but the problems
    won't show up until ld uses the .drectve export directives.

Regards,
Mumit -- khan@xraylith.wisc.edu
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/

-