RE: To _USE_ or not to use InstallShield? WAS: Re: B19: InstallShield reports: "WinExec failed: return=20" after 99% completion

Let me throw in my 2 bits in favour of the InstallShield installation (since it seems that someone needs to). There are all sorts of idiosyncrasies with the windows environment that installers must deal with: the registry is a prime example. Sure, these can all be dealt with by hand, but that takes time that I'm sure Cygnus doesn't want to put into a project that they provide at no charge. Now, let me point out that I hate InstallShield: I have blamed them for everything that is wrong with windows (in a letter I wrote to their support department). But they certainly seem to be the lesser of all evils. I strongly object to the tarball idea, as that would involve dl'ing tar, gzip and performing other additional steps. Tarballs work under UNIX b/c one doesn't need to do all that. The reasons for this dichotomy between environments are various, but it boils down to the fact that the two environments come from different backgrounds, different users and different needs. Of course, the only way to make everyone happy would be to provide both. So if Geoff has no objection, I'd say one of you tarball proponents should volunteer to maintain such a beast.

My 2 bits,
Terry