Re: Strange behavior with commands CD' and 'ls'

>From lhall@rfk.com Mon May 18 10:48:37 1998
>Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 13:49:07 -0400
>To: "Ashish Khurana" <akkhurana@hotmail.com>
>From: Larry Hall <lhall@rfk.com>
>Subject: Re: Strange behavior with commands CD' and 'ls'
>
>At 04:28 AM 5/16/98 IST, you wrote:
>>Can anybody tell me what is this all?
>>
>>Sequence of commands I tried are:--
>>
>>Q:\>cygnus
>>Cygnus Cygwin32 B19
>>bash-2.01$ pwd
>>//Q
>>bash-2.01$ ls
>>classes   data      doc       lib       makefile  src
>>bash-2.01$ cd classes
>>bash-2.01$ ls
>>com       makefile
>>bash-2.01$ cd ..
>>bash-2.01$ pwd
>>//Q
>>bash-2.01$ ls
>>com       makefile
>>bash-2.01$
>>----
>>

>>The Q:\ is my virtual drive named to one of my subdirectory in the
>>system. I'm using NT 4.0 and Cygnus 19 even the patch update 19.1 is
>>also installed on my m/c.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Ashish
>>

>Happens here too when using the pseudo UNC (//) nomenclature for paths.
>Works fine if you use a mounted path.  This is most likely a bug,
perhaps
>similar to the issue that occurs if you cd into a symbolically linked
>directory that was not created with a full path (i.e. ln -s bin vs
>ln -s /usr/bin).

[Ashish] Larry if I'm not wrong, are you suggesting to use something
like,
cd Q:/ instead of cd .. wherever I feel to go back to q:?

Basically I am using such set of statements recursively in my makefile,
not exactly the same as I mentioned in my problem but
more or less of the similar fashion. So there I can't hard code the
path.

Suggestions?
Thanks,
Ashish