xterm without the "x"

I've seen some posts from people who love having an xterm instead
of having to use the lame DOS shell window around bash.  Is there
any sort of an xterm-like window that can be used with NT natively--
that is, without X?

I know that I could get a free X server and use it to display xterms,
but this far to cumbersome to be practical when all I want is a better
"frame" to wrap around my shells!

Thanks in advance for any info--if this answer is has been posted
already, I apologize!

Steve Hein   (ssh@cray.com)
Silicon Graphics, Inc.
-