Re: Help required - Connecting bash to an editor using anonymous pipes

Easy answer: use "bash -i".  By default bash runs in interactive mode if
stdin is a tty device, otherwise it runs in non-interactive mode (i.e.,
it does not generate a prompt or echo the command line).  Specifying
"-i" simply overrides the default.

Jonathan Naughton-Green wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     If anybody can throw some light onto running a "bash" session through a
>     pipe then I would appriciate it. I have sifted through the archieves but
>     have not (as yet) found anything that answers my question - (are those
>     archives big !!)
>
>     I am trying to connect the Cygnus environment to a MicroEmacs editor to
>     run a Cygnus shell in one of the buffer windows. I can do this with the
>     "command.com" to give me DOS prompt in a buffer, however applying the same
>     technique to "bash" it does not quite work.
>
>     The window comes up. I can send characters to the shell and I can execute
>     commands and see the results in the buffer BUT the bash prompt and the
>     characters that I type into the buffer are not visible.
>
>     Basically all I have done is get MicroEmacs to prepare the environment
>     (i.e. pushed the cygnus.bat set up in the environment) created anonymous
>     pipes for stdin, stdout and stderr which connect to MicroEmacs and then
>     spawned off a new process "bash" (directly).
>
>     I am a bit baffled by this because I had assumed that the bash prompt
>     would be on stdout. Because I can read the output of commands such as
>     "ls", "make" etc which appear on stdout and stderr then I must assume
>     that bash itself is doing something else - but what ??
>
>     I have also assumed that bash will execute correctly when served up with
>     a set of pipes as it's stdin/out/err - this might not be the case.
>
>     I'm running Cygwin 19.1 on Windows '98.
>
>     MicroEmacs (jasspa) is from
>
>     http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Thinktank/7109/
>
>     + latest patch + a few hacks of my own on the launching of processes.
>     I am building under MSVC 5.0 (not sure if I can build this as a
>     cygwin executable as a windows app ??)
>
> Regards
> J.Naughton-Green
>
> --