Re: Help required - Connecting bash to an editor using anonymous pipes

Thanks for the response,

	I could not believe that this was the default operation. UNIX
	ptty's do not behave line this. I spent a few hours sifting
	through documentation gave up and then tried every option
	to "bash". Turns out that I need to invoke with	"interactive"
	flag set i.e.

		"bash -i"

	Interactive would appear to mean show me the prompt as well
	as echo all of the characters that I type in. Obvious really
	when you know the answer !!

	Anyway this works a treat and I now have a fully functional
	shell in a buffer window.

Regards
J.D.Naughton-Green.

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> If you have `tty' set in the CYGWIN32 environment variable this will
> cause problems with NON-CYGWIN programs.
>
> ---Jonathan Naughton-Green <jnaught@seri.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >     If anybody can throw some light onto running a "bash" session
> through a
> >     pipe then I would appriciate it. I have sifted through the
> archieves but
> >     have not (as yet) found anything that answers my question - (are
> those
> >     archives big !!)
> >
> >     I am trying to connect the Cygnus environment to a MicroEmacs
> editor to
> >     run a Cygnus shell in one of the buffer windows. I can do this
> with the
> >     "command.com" to give me DOS prompt in a buffer, however
> applying the same
> >     technique to "bash" it does not quite work.
> >
> >     The window comes up. I can send characters to the shell and I
> can execute
> >     commands and see the results in the buffer BUT the bash prompt
> and the
> >     characters that I type into the buffer are not visible.
> >
> >     Basically all I have done is get MicroEmacs to prepare the
> environment
> >     (i.e. pushed the cygnus.bat set up in the environment) created
> anonymous
> >     pipes for stdin, stdout and stderr which connect to MicroEmacs
> and then
> >     spawned off a new process "bash" (directly).
> >
> >     I am a bit baffled by this because I had assumed that the bash
> prompt
> >     would be on stdout. Because I can read the output of commands
> such as
> >     "ls", "make" etc which appear on stdout and stderr then I must
> assume
> >     that bash itself is doing something else - but what ??
> >
> >     I have also assumed that bash will execute correctly when served
> up with
> >     a set of pipes as it's stdin/out/err - this might not be the case.
> >
> >     I'm running Cygwin 19.1 on Windows '98.
> >
> >     MicroEmacs (jasspa) is from
> >
> >     http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Thinktank/7109/
> >
> >     + latest patch + a few hacks of my own on the launching of
> processes.
> >     I am building under MSVC 5.0 (not sure if I can build this as a
> >     cygwin executable as a windows app ??)
> >
> > Regards
> > J.Naughton-Green
> >
> > --
> >
> > J.D.Naughton-Green
> >
> > SAMSUNG Electronics Ltd
> > Samsung Electronics Research Institute (Audio / Visual Labs)

> message to
> > "gnu-win32-request@cygnus.com" with one line of text: "help".
> >

> ==

Jon Green                                           J.D.Naughton-Green

SAMSUNG Electronics Ltd
The Communication Centre
South Street
Staines                Tel: +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 644
MIDDLESEX              Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
TW18 4QE               Email (work): jnaught@seri.co.uk
England                Email (home): jon@naughton-green.netkonect.co.uk