G77 ug

I am trying to compile the following code on Win32 with EGCS-1.1 (G77)

OPEN (BOXUNT,FILE=LINE,ACCESS='DIRECT',STATUS='UNKNOWN',
     +FORM='UNFORMATTED',RECL=NQARECL)
      IF(NQANBX.EQ.0)THEN
      READ(BOXUNT,REC=1,ERR=995)NQANBX
      IF(ABS(NQANBX).GT.200000)THEN

The executable works Ok but quits when it tries to read external
unformatted file.

Fragment number 1
do_ud: off end of record
apparent state: unit 78 named /e/whatif/whatcheck/nqual/NQABOX.DAT
lately reading direct unformatted external IO
 Aborted
----

After checking Dejanews, I came accross that it is a possible bug in
EGCS-1.1

Has anyone else encountered the same problem or knows the work around?

Thanks

Suhaib Siddiqi
-