tar, zip, gzip troubles

Hi,
I'm quite new to the Cygnus tools (B19), but I have some experience with
both Windows NT4 and Linux. I can unpack .tar.gz and .zip on NT and I
can create .tar.gz on Linux and create .zip on NT (WinZip, InfoZip
zip/unzip in cmd.exe). However, I can't properly pack or unpack using
the Cygnus bash. All attempts result in invalid or unreadable archives.
I've tested:
- gzip/gunzip/tar shipped with the Cygnus tools
- InfoZip zip/unzip ported to Cygnus
- InfoZip zip/unzip compiled for WinNT
The only packer that partially works is pkzip, but this fails to
recursively search subdirectories.
I've tested the whole thing on two NT boxes, and I've downloaded the
usertools twice to be sure the distribution isn't corrupted.
What am I doing wrong?
TIA
Markus

Dr. Markus Hoenicka