RE: tar, zip, gzip troubles

>>This smacks of the old binary/text problem.  It doesn't sound like you

have set your mounts (mount -b) or CYGWIN32 (binmode) variable to binary

mode so I suggest you look there first.<<

Oh yes, this cured the problem (although I had to strip the \r's from my
.bashrc to restart bash successfully). However, as Earnie Boyd pointed
out, this seems to be more a workaround than a fix and I'll try to
modify the zip/unzip sources to fix the problem (may take years,
though).
Thanks a lot
Markus

Dr. Markus Hoenicka