sshd

I have a little problem with sshd even AFTER I read all articles published
to the list about sshd. My problem is as follows: when I run sshd in debug
mode (sshd -d) it works as expected (password authentication fails, but I
haven't even tried to fix THAT yet). When I run it "normally" it doesn't
accept connections. I only get "Socket read error: Connection reset by peer"
from my ssh client.
  What could be wrong? /etc and others are all set up and correct.