gnu-win32 without registry entries?

As far as I can tell, the only thing the registry entries are used for is
to set up the simulated mounts, with the binary text options.

How much trouble would it be to do this with a mount table as per Linux,
instead of putting it in the registry?

One reason I ask is that I work for a big company and our IS people want
everyone to have standard registry entries.  It seems to me that everything
else I really need works without messing with the registry.

Other than that, I'm really quite pleased with cyg-win/gnu-win.

John Velman
jrvelman@mail.hac.com
-