Re: gdb

In article <m0zSSij-0002fdC.cygnus.gnu-win32@jacob.remcomp.fr>,
root <root@jacob.remcomp.fr> wrote:
>gdb gdb...
>1) When I issue the disassemble command, it will disassemble a bit and then
>   tells me:
>0x452565 <GetInitializationData+373>:   cmpl   $0x1,%eax
>0x452568 <GetInitializationData+376>:
>    jne    0x452571 <GetInitializationData+385>
>---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
>
>Beware of typing q <return>... It will crash immediately. Has anyone else
>experienced this bug?
>I am debugging a windows program.

I Haven't experienced this.

>3)
>   gdb is unable to follow the stack when there is a trap in a system call.
>   I have developed recently an algorithm for doing this. It wouldn't be a
>   bad idea if gdb would improve this situation. It is not at all that
>   difficult.

Enlightenment would be gratefully accepted.

>4) The command line interface is... well forget it.

I use the command line interface routinely without problem.  If you have
a specific complaint let's hear it.

>5) It is difficult to follow the program execution at the assembly level.
>   The <nexti> command works, but instead of showing me the assembly
>   instruction that will be executed, it insists in showing me the source
>   line... So I am blind as to what the hell the machine is doing.

display /i $pc

>6) You can't set a breakpoint when the program is running. In general, gdb
>   is freezed when the program is running. Now, doing this is not specially
>   difficult: you just stop the running thread, set the
>   breakpoint, and then you resume... not rocket science really.

Not sure what you want here.  Do you want to be able to stop the running
program with CTRL-C maybe?

>7) There is no way to stop the program. The 'kill' command is kind of
>   useless, since you can't type anything into gdb unless the program is
>   stopped!!! Gdb reminds me of those days when I used the "debug" command
>   line debugger from MS-DOS.

Patches to correct this behavior would be gratefully accepted.
--
cgf@cygnus.com
http://www.cygnus.com/