\r\n, DJGPP and gnu-win (Was: Re[2]: tar, zip, gzip troubles

     I used the DJGPP environment under dos for years without ever having
     to worry about this problem.  In addition to all the ports working as
     promised, I was able to successfully do some ports myself (the most
     exotic being scm).  The applications I used with no problems included
     bash, emacs, vim, less, genscript, TeX, autoconfig, configure, make,
     various shell scripts, perl, my own perl scripts, and on and on.  I
     simply never worried about the \r\n issue.  I did see it discussed
     occaisionally on the DJGPP newsgroup.  My setup was a very standard
     dos 6.something, windows3.something (both plain and for work groups at
     various times).

     On NT with gnu-win, I've finally made things work by setting my entire
     cygnus tree to text = binary in the mount table.  I'll admit that I
     now have few problems, but I really should be able to run with no
     problems without messing with the registry.

     Can someone explain why there are few if any problems with the way
     DJGPP handles this, and why there is a more or less continuous stream
     of problems with this in gnu-win?

     Well, I hope this doesn't sound like a major complaint.  I give hearty
     thanks to all the people who have done so much to provide the cyg-win and
     gnu-win environment, and realize that this is still early in its
     evlolution.

     John Velman
     jrvelman@mail.hac.com