RE: Interested in GNU Software

It sounds like you are in a similiar situation to us.
I took our Unix sourcecode (approx 500,000 lines), and ported it with
minimal problems (SEE BELOW).
I find gnu-win32 a pleasure to use, and commend the developers.

My one concern with going with an NT release is the reliability of NT
for a mission critical application.
Our foray into the NT world has left me fairly cynical about the ability
of NT to provide mission critical 7x24 uptime.
(I hope that last comment doesn't cause a storm. I don't care what you
say, I'll still hug my Unix machines).

Porting areas that caused a little concern:

Shared memory - I believe there is a package ported for this, but I
haven't hit that yet.
Timeouts on reads - The GNU read system call does not interrupt on a
signal, so you can't use alarms for timeouts. Select works fine however.
exec - I couldn't use execlp. I moved to execvp instead. Forking works
fine however.
Some of the socket calls have to be revamped, but it's fairly trivial.
setgid, setuid doesn't exist (I think - there must have been a reason
that I conditioned them out, but I can't think why).
Telnet connections are limited to 15 by default (This has been changed
for the next release, I believe).

I hope this has been of some help.
Ian Collins