CRLF again, was: Re[2]: smtp mail failed

In my opinion, all archiving and zipping programs (tar, zip, unzip, etc) should
*never* add CRs where they don't exist in the source file.  Likewise, *all*
filters (tr, cat, pipes...) should *only* add CRs if instructed to do so on the
options line.  Then if someone want's to use a text file from a non windows
source in a windows program that needs the CRLF combination (like this ccmail)
they can run the file through a Unix to Dos filter.

This CRLF business has been the most difficult thing about using the cyg-win
gnu-win tools.  The NT emacs I'm using seems to have some algorithm in it that
decides what to do.  It doesn't always do the right thing.  The Vim I have is
honest about it.  Unless you tell it specifically something like :se ff=dos, it
just seems to keep things like they were.

Well, cyg-win32, gnu-win32 is still a great suite of software, but with a few
growing pains.

Best to all,

John Velman
jrvelman@mail.hac.com