Re: New Installation

---"Boda S. Gupta" <gupta@dbrci.blr.DaimlerBenz.COM> wrote:

> Hello

Hi, Boda.

> 1. Can any one help me with a nice sequence of instructions to
> use Cygwin32.
>
> I don't want to disturb cygnus->b19->H-* -> directory structure
disturbed!

I understand your hesitance in doing this.  When I was a newbie with
cygwin32 I had the same criteria.  However, being more experienced,
the benefits of physically moving the files are most notible.  Check
out "My Favored Directory Structure" under "Personal Reflections" on
my webpage.

> 2. Do we need to set up /var /etc with mount?

I suggest you create a /var/run directory.  You'll need /etc for the
termcap.

> 3. How does one create /etc/passwd and /etc/group files on NT with
Cygnus?

mkpasswd and mkgroup

> 4. How to use man pages from cdk-man-* ? Any tool or method?

Check out the "List of packages" on my webpage.

> 5. Vi or some alternative please?

Vim.

> 6. Any good tools you suggest?

Again, check the "List of packages" on my webpage.

> 7. How to run X Programs? I have installed X Server (MIX Server)
from TNT
> Lite and also have X11R6.3 libs from Mr. Mummit Khan's Site.
> How to configure them to work with me! Compelete instructions? Am I
ambitious?

> 7. I have a X11/Motif program and want to run on WinNT (+cygnus).
>    Do I need to run always X Server? Is there no way X Server forms
part of
> my executable?
> If yes, please let me know how to do it!

I'm ignorant on these.  There've been lots of posts concerning them
though.  You could check the archives.  I can tell you that the X
Server, in general, must be running.  There is a port of rxvt that has
mapped the X calls to Win32 calls so that you don't need the X server.
 The package contains the diffs and extra source.

> Please help me!

I hope I've been, helpful.

==