mount type, compiler barf, and sym links

Howdy:

I can't keep up with the volume (and much of what I do read is
pretty obtuse to me anyway); sorry if this seems like a stupid
question.

I've had the B19/coolview/egcs setup working for a few weeks (at
least for compiling my stupid homework problems - all console mode
stuff).  I guess I always had my root partition mounted text mode.
After reading some of the posts lately on the subject, I got the
impression I should use binary mounts, so when I created some new
mount points for /tmp, /var, my ntemacs directory (for symbolic
links), etc, I used the -b switch.  I also changed my root mount
point in the registry to the binary type.  Suddenly my homework
wouldn't compile; I got some weird error message about undefined
symbols in stdio.h & stddef.h (all my source files are LF only).

I changed the mount type back and everything compiles fine again.
What was the problem?  Something to do with CR/LF translation?
Would somebody care to explain it in terms a self-taught guy (with
a geophysics background) can understand?  Which types of mounts do
I want for what types of scenarios and why?

I also created some sym links in /bin that point to win32 versions
of vim and emacs (as well as linking /bin/sh to bash).  Do I need
to explicitly link to prog1.exe or just prog1 (the links in /bin
seem to work fine as sh, gvim, and emacs)?  Are there any hidden
implications to using/not using the DOS .exe file extension under
bash?

Thanks in advance for any answers, Steve