make gotcha

Hi Ernie,

My statement:

echo Including MASTER MAKE FILE: $(MASTER_MAKE)

has NO characters before it, <TAB> or otherwise.

Once again let me stress that this line causes NO problems whatsoever
on my NeXTStep v3.3 intel box where the Gnu make is version 3.72.1
or on my FreeBSD v2.2.5 intel box where Gnu make is version 3.76.1.
Nor does it bomb on the OpenStep intel port ->make is version 3.74
which, for the those who don't know, runs on Win32 machines.

I suspect that the behavior on those native UNIX boxes is most likely
what nature intended.  I can't imagine why I would want to parse a rule
in the midst of an echo statement.  So, I've become accustomed to sort of
throwing (justabout)whatever into them as descriptive text just as in
scripts
and batch files.

I'm pretty sure that the parsing got screwed up a little in the UNIX to
GnuWin32 port.

No biggie, I'll just stop with the :'s.  I don't mean to bitch esp. since I
ain't got the gumption to fix it.

Let me know your feelings on this one.

da bisk

P.S.

as for the example, just create a line like ---

echo This is a make : KILLER

or ---

echo "This is a make : KILLER"

and add it appropriately to you favorite makefile.

Works on UNIX boxes, dies on GnuWin32

Perhaps some LiNUXers out there could check it out on their righteous box.