"Permission denied" error from make

I've got a mysterious problem here, and I'm supposed to fix this by tomorrow.

When we run make with JDK 1.1.6, it starts up "java ...", but stops due to a
"Permission denied" error without any further output.  However, if we run
things manually (typing in exactly the same thing), it seems ok.

In both cases, it's running from the same tcsh (compiled using Cygwin), and
it's particularly odd because it works on the other two NT boxes that we have
configured similarly.

Anyone have ideas as to what's wrong?

edwin