Re: gnu-win32 without registry entries?

OK, one thing to keep in mind here... env variables like CYGROOT
potentially can change between process invocations; that is CYGROOT
would be a process-local configuration.

However the mount table is currently a global setting, kept in shared
memory (a persistent copy is made to the win32 registry).

So what exactly should happen if CYGROOT were to change after mount
table initialization?  There could be several answers, but "crash" is
not a good one... (similar to the infamous bug of setting CYGWIN32=tty).

A /etc/fstab seems like a good idea... normally un*x reads /etc/fstab
somewhere during boot from an rc script... since GNU-Win32 has no init
process or rc scripts, should cygwinb19.dll instead try to run
/etc/fstab once during initialization?

Having /etc/mnttab is possible too... I would rather that cygwin32 had a
real "/proc filesystem" with a /proc/mnttab, linked to /etc/mnttab.
That'll be easy if we ever have /proc...

Austin David France wrote:

> I fourth this one.
>
> Use of the CYGROOT environment variable is both flexible and simple to use.
>
> What if $CYGROOT/etc/mnttab does not exist?
>
> cygwin*.dll should mount / based on $CYGROOT, perhaps it does this already?
>
> Perhaps the default for CYGROOT should be the installation directory?
>
> TTFN,
> ()z

Jeff Sturm
jsturm@sigma6.com