RE: Mixing Unix and WIN32?

The problem is symbolic links. Even though WinZip understands gzip
compression and tar files, there is no way that is universal to all Windows
platforms (95/98/NT) for it to deal with symbolic links. (It's my
understanding that NT has soft-link capability, though).

If (and only if) the tar file was created on a Windows platform where
symlinks are simply a file with specific contents and the system attribute
set, then WinZip will properly store/restore symbolic links. I do this all
the time. If, however, the tar file is created on a Unix platform and
contains symbolic links, then I believe that WinZip just skips them when
extracting the tar file.

That's my take on it, anyway. Hope it helps.

--
Rick Rankin
rrankin@primenet.com

-