Re: STL auto_ptr

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Harm-Jan Zwinderman wrote:

> I noticed that in the b20.1 release the auto_ptr template class is
> commented out in the STL include file <Memory>.
>
> Will it be activated in the (near) future ?
> It is a useful class in avoiding memory leaks and I would like to use it.

Not for egcs-1.1.2, out any day now. The new SGI STL will be included in a
future egcs release, possibly in 1.2.

You're very correct that it is very useful, and it is mandated by the
standard. However, the egcs team has to be very careful when adding new
features to minor releases of the compilers so as not to break existing
code.

Please send followup to egcs discussion list -- egcs@egcs.cygnus.com.

Regards,
Mumit