Re[2]: Total lack of accurate documentation!

Hello Timothy,

Timothy Reaves <treaves@y11a165.neo.rr.com> wrote:

TR> So I tried a few of the suggestions.  I umounted /tmp, did a mkdir /tmp,
TR> mount d:\temp /tmp, then a ls -la /.  I got an error ls: /tmp: no such
TR> file or directory.  I don't understand this either.  I did not do a ls
TR> -la /tmp.  Just /.  So I umounted /tmp, deleted /tmp, and now nothing
TR> relating to /tmp works.  I can no longer even do a mkdir /tmp as I get
TR> the error - mkdir: cannot make directory '/tmp': No such file or
TR> directory.

TR> Under unix this never would have been an issue, so apparently I just
TR> don't understand the port.  Can someone point out where I screwed up?

    Something like that I had, little more worse, though.
I solved it globally (after consulting to maillist and being told
those are 'features' of cygwin) - unmount all except root.
Replace in registry '/' mount point from drive where
windows installed to drive where cygwin itself installed (it's another
cygwin feature). Make /tmp on that drive. Keep youself within that
drive. Use //cygdrive/ syntax to access other drives (search list
archive for more info). Forget forever about one of the MOST NICE
and USEFUL features of cygwin.

Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:paul-ml@is.lg.ua