Re: Compleate env remapping?

Hello Timothy,

Timothy Reaves <treaves@y11a165.neo.rr.com> wrote:

TR>         I'm interested in doing all development under Cygwin.
TR> Not developing cygwin apps mind you, but using the env;
TR> primarily because I need make and I love bash.

[]

TR>         Can anyone (or everyone) offer advise?  Have any of
TR> you done this?  Is there a better way?

    I don't understand your demands to "env", but I might describe how
I have it:

    First, I don't use cygwin-specific features (mount-tables and
links, with pity, as for latter), since I use Cygwin, Mingw32, DJGPP,
native, etc. tools at the same time. I keep that all on single drive,
where I have '/usr/bin' dir, stuffed with a mess of
cygwin/mingw32/djgpp tools. In the same dir I copy binaries from
precompiled packages of such tools as Perl and Python. I setup
PATH to it and other tool-specific environment variables for all this
to work properly.

   Further, I use fullscreen shell which allows me both seamlessly use
command line, constantly have a view of file environment and have
trivial operation such as viewing/editing/copying at my fingertips.
Problems bothered me with this were:

1. How to have bash underlying that fullscreen shell
2. Even without bash, I really craved shell scripts

   To get second done I went thru several ideas, among them such crazy
as hacking that fullscreen shell (it is not open source and even not
freeware ;-( ) or kernel32.dll hacking (don't tell anyone). Hopefully
I was able to solve both problems via simple COMSPEC marshaller I
announced here lately. So, now I have both coolest features of POSIX
(or UNIX, if you wish) environment and coolest (imho, I wouldn't
assert that too strong - it's just the way everybody uses computers
such way in this part of world (I'm about fullscreen (but console,
never GUI!) shells, of course)) things of usual "pee-cee" environment
to which I get used innately.

   Ok, that was my default environment. I have bat scripts which
constrain it to specific environment, for example, compiler paths;
bash as shell for cygwin, djgpp's binutils in front of path for djgpp,
etc.

TR>         Thanks!

Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:paul-ml@is.lg.ua