Re: problem with cygwin version of egcs

Beginning with version b20 the cygwin package was built optimized for
i586.  This means that you will not be able to successfully use it on
a lesser machine.  You could get version b19 and the b20 sources and
build it optimized for i486 and you should then be able to use it or
cross-compile from linux.

---John McNally <mcnally@tempest.engr.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> I am running cygwin b20.1 with win95 on a 486.  I installed the
version
> of egcs1.1.1 for cygwin b20.
> When trying to run g77 (or gcc) I get
>
> This program cannot be run in DOS mode.
>
> Other b20 utils like "ls" and "du" work.  I did not check b20
version of
> gcc before overlaying egcs version.  I have looked in the cygwin
mailing
> list archives and didn't find anything.  And I'm not sure it would be
> discussed wrt egcs.
>
> Has anyone else reported this problem?  This is the sort of error
> message associated with trying to run a windows program from a DOS
box,
> which is not what I think I'm doing.  I don't know much about this.
> Just trying to run g77 and b19 version tends to freeze up
occasionally.