Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)

> Ergo, if you buy such a product, you MUST NOT run any other software that
> loads the cygwin1.dll, because either you would be making their product
> load the GPL'd dll or your GPL software would be loading the license
> restricted dll.

Since Windows checks the directory the executable runs from before the
PATH, this shouldn't be a problem if the dll is stored with the
executable and you manage your path properly.  Yes, I know it doesn't
always work that way.  If you have two cygwin1.dlls in your PATH and
they're incompatible, you might have other problems anyway.