This is the mail archive of the email@example.com
mailing list for the Cygwin project. See the Cygwin
home page for more information.
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
[Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Re: licensing NOT clear for me
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: licensing NOT clear for me
- From: John Mullee <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 14:13:43 +0100
- Delivered-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-To: mailing list email@example.com
- Mailing-List: contact firstname.lastname@example.org; run by ezmlm
- Organization: <http://www.exmachina.net/> Ex Machina Interactive Architects
- References: <36F12160.87AE0FC0@bigfoot.com>
- Sender: email@example.com
> Hi there!
> I make my binaries available to the public but:
> Can I include the cygwin1.dll on the .zip file???
> It seems i have to include the source code of the
> library, but that would make a 20 megas cygwin
> source (more than 20 times the actual program).
> Can someone help?
> I consider stupid to include 20 megas for a simple
> program. Maybe I am wrong, but that is why
> I asked and nobody seems to know the answer.
> Joaquin Grech
(I'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong here.. :)
The issue is simply:
- if you distribute on cdrom, include the cywin sources (no problem,
- if you distribute on floppy, include the cywin sources (aargh!)
- if you distribute via http/ftp, place the cygwin sources on the same
permitting users who _chose_ to do so to get the relevant sources.
You could make it awkward by splitting the files into 1MB lumps and use
some strange compression-format, if you wanted to discourage unnecessary
You _don't_ have to wrap _all_ the sources up in the same archive. They
can be separately-downloadable files.
I'm not aware of any separate source archive which produces _only_ the
dll and not
the tools; such an archive, if you created it, would both fulfil GPL
and be easier to fit on some floppies.
FWIW, the cdk/src/winsup directory - i.e. the sources for the cygwin dll
zip into about 700 kb. (one floppy disk!)
Now, which bit don't you understand ? 8)
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org