How do I split binaries to manageable chunks

Hello all,
I tried using the cygwin-20 split command (under windows 95) to split binary
files into manageable chunks.  This is for them to be transmitted down noisy
lines, and be reconstituted (cf. your split version of full.exe).
Unfortunately, it seems to handle only text files.

My question is/are:
1)    Could you please indicate to split and later recombine binary file(s)?
2)    Do I need to convert the file to a text equivalent before using split?
If so, what software can I use to do this?

Thanks

William.