Re: question (latest "stable" dll?) + bugs: vim, bash, gcc, cp, find, less, zip, ls

   Sender: cygwin-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com
   Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:09:05 -0400
   From: Phil Edwards <pedwards@jaj.com>

   I'll add/respond to the few that I've encountered.

   > 4) find is broken across mounts.  find clearly can see the
   > files/dirs under the mount, but then for some reason, reports "No
   > such file or directory".  See the bottom of this email for my
   > cygcheck outout.
   >    $ find /
   >       / /a /a/a find: /a/a/new.zip: No such file or directory
   >       /bin /c find: /c/UNATTEND.TXT: No such file or directory
   >       find: /c/BOOTSECT.DOS: No such file or directory find:
   >       /c/WINNT: No such file or directory find: /c/NTDETECT.COM:
   >       No such file or directory find: /c/ntldr: No such file or
   >       directory ...  /etc /etc/group /etc/hosts ...

   I've had the same thing happen to me while trying to run updatedb.
   Nothing ever got written to the temp file, by the way, so if you
   were thinking of running locate/updatedb, don't.

There's a workaround for updatedb: use the --netpaths option.  For
instance, updatedb --netpaths=//d/.  You'll probably need --netuser as
well.

But both these problems are symptoms of a bug in the path translation
layer that was only addressed on March 28.  A simpler way to
demonstrate the problem is just to create a mount point and try to
access a file below it with a relative path.  A real killer bug IMHO
but MHO doesn't count :-)

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.