Re: directory structure

--- Michael Diers <mdiers@logware.de> wrote:
-8<-
> I used Earnie's setup guide as a starting point. (Thanks, Earnie!)
>
> The setup I ended up with is akin to a "chroot jail". It is
> basically a symlink farm and looks approximately like this:
>
>   D:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/...
>
>         -- B20.1 structure as per full.exe
>
>   D:/cygwin                                     -- mount D:\\cygwin /
>
>         /cygnus -> //d/cygnus/cygwin-b20
>
>                 -- this is the clever bit, a link to *some* Cygwin
>                    release; re-symlinking here allows to quickly try
>                    out different release
>
>         -- The rest we make look UNIXish.
>
>         /bin
>                 sh.exe -> /usr/bin/sh.exe
>                 echo.exe -> /usr/bin/echo.exe
>
>         /etc
>                 group
>                 passwd
>                 termcap -> /cygnus/etc/termcap
>
>         /lib
>                 libiberty.a -> /cygnus/lib/libiberty.a
>
>         /mnt
>                 c -> //c/       -- trailing slash is significant!
>                 d -> //d/
>
>         /opt
>                 mypackage       -- local^2 stuff
>
>         /tmp -> //c/temp        -- shared scratch area
>
>         /usr
>                 H-i586-cygwin32 -> /cygnus/H-i586-cygwin32
>                 bin -> H-i586-cygwin32/bin
>                 i586-cygwin32 -> i586-pc-cygwin32
>                 i586-pc-cygwin32 -> H-i586-cygwin32/i586-pc-cygwin32
>                 include -> /cygnus/include
>                 lib -> H-i586-cygwin32/lib
>
>                 /local
>                         -- Andy Piper's local tree
>                         -- Sergey Okhapine's remote tools
>
>                         mypackage -> /opt/mypackage
>
>                 share -> /cygnus/share
>
> Advantages:
>
>   * Nothing is changed in the installed Cygnus tree. The desired
>     UNIXish structure is made up in the jail.
>
>   * All local config in one place, independent of Cygnus release.
>
>   * Only need root mountpoint to bootstrap.
>
>   * All config represented in file system, so can be tarballed and
>     distributed.
>
> Problem:
>
>   * People hate symlink farms...
  * Doesn't support the proposed distribution of B21.

> Comments?

The proposed distribution will be more in line with a standard UNIX directory
tree.  Something like:

/cygwin/b21
       +   /bin
       +   /etc
       +   /home
       +   /tmp
       +   /usr
           +   /bin
           +   /include
           +   /lib
           +   /local
               +     /bin
               +     /include
               +     /lib
               |     /share
           |   /share
       |   /var

Note: The above tree is a supposition and NOT fact.
===
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>

Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)