Re: rlogin, rsh, and cvs server

"Elliot Mednick" <elliot@lexra.com> writes:

> And, can someone recommend the best way to use cvs as a client from Cygwin?
> Is the rsh method best?  Or should I attempt to use the inetd method?

Use pserver. Builds out of the box, and works reliably, albeit slowly.
All source code on my NT box is maintained in a remote repository on a
Unix server. I believe I'm using 1.10.5 on the Cygwin side and 1.10.2
on all the rest of the machines.

I strongly suggest keeping all the source directory mounts binary if
you're doing a lot of development to avoid awkward problems with diffs
having CR/NL etc.

> (No firewall involved.  I can use cvs now by mounting the repository via a
> Samba server, and I can checkout, but I cannot commit because other users
> change ownership of the repository files and Samba apparently will not allow
> my Cygwin cvs to delete those files.  Therefore the client/server approach.)

Another side benefit of client/server is that you can freely move around
the directory tree without having to muck with CVS/Repository etc files.

Regards,
Mumit