binutils development snapshot binaries [Re: Dlls @n symbols ]

"Emanuele ALIBERTI" <ealiberti@hotmail.com> writes:
> I solved most problems I had with generating clean (undecorated) exports
> tables for my DLLs thanks to the suggestions by Mumit.
>
> For the special problem of forwarded symbols in the exports table, DJ
> suggested to compile the current binutils snapshot. I downloaded it but...
> ehm... could not compile (egcs 1.1.2/mingw32). But I browsed the code and
> now understand a bit more what the correct syntax should be for achiving
> that.

Well, since you're willing to deal with experimental code, pick up my
precompiled mingw/cygwin binutils binaries, currently based on 1999-08-08
CVS + small local changes (see the ChangeLog entries in the diff file).

  ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin/snapshots/
  ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/snapshots/

Please don't overwrite your system/defaults binutils! Unpack in a
different place, and use the -B<prefix>/ gcc option to tell gcc to
use these new ones instead. (Please do make sure by running gcc with
-v option!)

Above all, please remember that this is a development snapshot and
likely to have serious bugs. In fact, until this morning, it was
creating executables that windows won't even load. Caveat Emptore.
I haven't even tested if the packaging is ok, other than zip CRC.

For Cygwin:

  $ budir=/usr/local/binutils-19990808
  $ mkdir -p $budir
  $ cd $budir
  $ tar zxf /tmp/binutils-19990808-cygb20.tar.gz

To test/use it:

  $ export PATH=$budir/H-i586-cygwin32/bin:$PATH
  $ gcc -B$budir/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/ -print-prog-name=as

should display the full path to the new ones. Don't forget the trailing
'/' in the -B argument!

For Mingw:

  c:\> SET budir=c:\binutils-19990808
  c:\> mkdir %budir%
  c:\> cd %budir%
  c:\> unzip -d c:\tmp\binutils-19990808-mingw32.zip

To test/use it:

  c:\> PATH=%budir%\bin;%PATH%
  c:\> gcc -B%budir%\bin\ -print-prog-name=as

should display the full path to the new ones. Don't forget the trailing
'/' in the -B argument!

Good luck.

Regards,
Mumit