expect does not timeout

Hi all,

I got a problem with a simple expect-script for controlling a serial I/O
driver with a command line interface via readline.
The part of the command script which makes the problem is the following :

    	set timeout 1
	expect {
		-i $RS_ID
		-re " ff .. 60" {
		    exp_send_user "Message 1.\n"
		    exp_continue
		} -re "^T> " {
		    exp_send_user "Unknown Msg.\n"
		    exp_continue
		} timeout {
		} eof {
		}
	}

The driver ($RS_ID) has spawned and receives some messages which were
printed to stdout as hex-dump. Expect detects the Messages and prints the
corresponding name to the user. If no more messages arrive, the script
should detect a timeout (after 1 second for this example) and go away. But
after the correct message detection does the script hang and do not detect
the timeout. I tried the following construct :

    	set timeout 1
	expect {
		-i $RS_ID
		timeout
		-re " ff .. 60" {
		    exp_send_user "Message 1.\n"
		    exp_continue
		} -re "^T> " {
		    exp_send_user "Unknown Msg.\n"
		    exp_continue
		}
	}

This detects the timeout but leads to an error cause the "-re ..." construct
is interpreted as the command.
If I include "timeout {}" instead the script does stop as before.

I'm using cygwin b20.1. The expect version is 5.26. Tcl is 8.0p2.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

André Lasslop