Re: How to put commas in command line arg's?

--- Matthew Weymar <mweymar@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sorry to bother y'all with this; I am *sure* it's an
> FAQ -- but when I requested the FAQ - btw - I rec'd a
> message saying that there isn't one -- and I didn't
> find anything that solved my problem in the archives
> either.
>
> I have got a program that takes command line arguments
> that sometimes include commas. bash replies to
> something of the following form w/ the following:
> [QUOTE]
> //mdw/...//test $ java test arg=testing(0,0)
> bash.exe: syntax error near unexpected token
> 'arg=testing(0'
> [END QUOTE]

It sounds to me as if you need a good tutorial in Unix shell command structure.
Try: java test arg=testing\(0\,0\)
 or: java test arg="testing(0,0)"

> Is there some easy way I can get bash to understand
> that this comma does *not* end this token?
>
> Also, *why* isn't there a cygwin FAQ?*

The FAQ does exist at http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin and you'll find some
other documentation there as well.

> Tks - for your patience as well as your suggestions,
> Matthew Weymar
>
> * I just followed following instructions from my
> "WELCOME to cygwin-digest" message:
>
> [QUOTE]
> Send mail to the following for info and FAQ for this
> list:
>    <cygwin-info@sourceware.cygnus.com>
>    <cygwin-faq@sourceware.cygnus.com>
> [END QUOTE]

Sounds like a setup problem doesn't it.

=====
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>

Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)