why gcc.exe compilation SLOW on NT?

Hey Folks,

I didn't expect my "helloworld.c" program to take 10 minutes to compile
via cygwin's gcc.exe (version egcs-2.91.57) on my NT machine.  The
compile did complete and the resulting exe does run, but why so long to
compile?

I'm a unix/gcc veteran but am very new to NT.  (I don't dare make
assumptions about what is going on under NT's hood yet).

Below is my program.  I used a command line like "gcc.exe -o hello.exe
helloworld.c" in bash and in the dos shell.  Both were slow.  From bash,
the ps command showed something called collect2.exe running along with
gcc.exe.  Sorry, I don't know if collect2.exe is relevant.

The NT machine is a late-model, multiuser, lightly used, heavyduty
server (ie, LOTS of memory).

------------
#include <stdio.h>

int
main(int argc, char **argv)
{
 printf("hello world, %s\n", argv[argc-1]);
}

Thanks in advance for any insights,

John Whitney

john.whitney_a@t_ssmb.com