Re: Licensing question

--- Jim.Fairchild@IndSys.ge.com wrote:
> I have a question regarding the statement, "if you intend to port a
> commercial
> (non-GPL'd) application using Cygwin, you will need the commercial license to
> Cygwin that comes with the supported native Win32 GNUPro product".  What
> licensing restrictions apply if you plan on using the Unix utilities only,
> and
> will not be developing applications that use the cygwin?  The Unix utilities
> would be used in a commercial application to enable the customer to
> transition
> from a UNIX system to a Windows NT system.

Notice: This is _not_ Legal Advice.  I shall not be held liable for damages
caused by this response.

IMO, your use of a GPL binary does not cause your commercial package problems.
If you include a GPL library in your commercial package such as libreadline.a
then your package must then also be covered by the GPL.

If you distribute a GPL binary then YOU must agree to have the source available
upon request for three years after the distribution for the version of the
binary distributed or also distribute the source when you distribute the
binary.

Please, refer to the COPYING document at the http://www.fsf.org site or should
be found with any GPL distribution.  It _is_ the legal document for the GPL.

=====
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>

Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)