Can't compile simple C++ file

Okay, here's the deal.  I've got a fairly simple C++ file that compiles just
fine in Visual C++.  It only uses standard C++ headers.  I give the file to
someone using gcc on Linux, and he says it compiles fine with no changes
needed.

So I download cygwin, and try to compile my program, and in the link stage,
I get dozens of error messages saying that the linker can't find the
definition for standard stuff like iostreams.  (Can someone please remind me
how to capture stderr so that I can read all these error messages without
them scrolling off the screen?)

I try to link explicitly to the stdc++ library, but it doesn't make a
difference.  I download and install gcc 2.95, but it makes no difference.

HELP!  Any idea what's going wrong?

Thanks,

Mark Engelberg