Re: standards for building

Reply to Earnie, (Cc to Cygwin list)

No one responded for an idea for the makefiles,
perhaps there is no standard.  Here is some sample
code that works to isolate platforms within a makefile,
what do you think?

DIR:=empty
export UNIX_VER:=$(shell uname -r)
ifeq ($(UNIX_VER), 20.1 (0.3/1/1))
 DIR:=/cygwin/sysutils
endif
ifeq ($(UNIX_VER), 4.2MP)
 DIR:=/unixware/sysutils
endif
ifeq ($(UNIX_VER), 5.5.1)
 DIR:=/solaris5/sysutils
endif
ifeq ($(UNIX_VER), 5.6)
 DIR:=/solaris6/sysutils
endif

usage:
 @echo "$(DIR)"

The echo line starts with a TAB.  The "uname -r"
command under Cygnus brings out the major
version plus the date.   There are many variants
of this kind.   Too bad, it simply does not poduce
the major version.

John Huddleston