Crossing Mount Point Problem ... "no such file" errors

Title: Crossing Mount Point Problem ... "no such file" errors

Hello,

I am having difficulty getting cygwin to reference files that cross
cygwin mount points.  In a variety of different scenarios, I am
receiving "No such file or directory" messages.  I first started
seeing this, trying to resolve a perl script from a networked drive.
Later, I discovered that I could receive the same error (presumably)
from the tar command ... a more isolated environment ... eliminating
perl from the equation.

Back on 1/2/2000 Steven N. Hirsch highlighted what I believe is the
same problem ... but I have not seen any resolution to his inquiry.
Steven attributed this to the CD version, but I am having the problem
with a copy downloaded from the web.

I am running cygwin 20.1 on NT 4.00.1381.

Here is a scenario that very simply highlights the problem:

My current mounts are as follows:

   SYS915:/> mount
   Device                  Directory  Type    Flags
   q:\CoeDI                /coe       native  text!=binary
   C:                      /          native  text!=binary

Note 1: Drive q: is network mounted to \\sys724\SuiteSpot.
Note 2: I have tried performing mounts directly to \\sys724\SuiteSpot
        with the same results.
Note 3: I have a /tmp directory
Note 4: I have a /bin with a copy of sh.exe

If I do a tar of the network mount, where it is fully qualified
(i.e. /coe/src) it works fine ...

   SYS915:/> tar cvf ~/temp.tar /coe/src
   tar: Removing leading `/' from absolute path names in the archive
   coe/src/
   coe/src/com/
   coe/src/com/agedwards/
   coe/src/com/agedwards/coe/
   coe/src/com/agedwards/coe/tempProj1/
   coe/src/com/agedwards/coe/tempProj1/makefile
   coe/src/com/agedwards/coe/tempProj1/Temp1.java
   ... etc.

However, if my tar of the network mount is relative (i.e. coe/src)
... crossing mount points, I receive the "No such file or directory"
errors:

   SYS915:/> tar cvf ~/temp.tar coe/src
   coe/src/
   coe/src/com/
   coe/src/com/agedwards/
   coe/src/com/agedwards/coe/
   coe/src/com/agedwards/coe/tempProj1/
   tar: Cannot add file coe/src/com/agedwards/coe/tempProj1/makefile: No such file or directory
   tar: Cannot add file coe/src/com/agedwards/coe/tempProj1/Temp1.java: No such file or directory
   ... etc.

Any help and/or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Bridges
  email: Kevin.Bridges@agedwards.com

Notice: Since e-mail messages sent between you and A.G. Edwards & Sons, Inc. ("AGE") and its employees are transmitted over the Internet, AGE cannot assure that such messages are secure. You should be careful in transmitting information to AGE that you consider confidential. If you are uncomfortable with such risks, you may decide not to use e-mail to communicate with AGE. Although you may be sending an e-mail message to a specific AGE employee, other AGE employees may review such messages. Additionally, your e-mail messages to AGE may, consistent with AGE's regulatory requirements and retention policies, be retained. You should also be aware that e-mail messages may be delayed or undelivered. AGE does not accept orders to effect transactions or other similar instructions through e-mail messages.