DefaultColormap

Hi all,
I am trying to compile a small CAD program on my cygwin installation.
I use Cygwin b20, precompiled binaries of the Xclients and an Xserver from
Starnet. The program is built without problems but doesn't work.
The output of GDB ends like this:

"Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x48c88f in wpcini () at wp4.c:289
289         colmap = DefaultColormap(xdisp,xscr);"

I am not a programmer but I have been told that DefaultColormap is a macro
that the compilator expand to the correct function call.
Do I have to change something or add another flag during compilation?

Just to mess things up I changed DefaultColormap to XDefaultColormap
and got the following from GDB:

"Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x6700e71c in _size_of_stack_reserve__ ()"

The author of the software says that in the commercial (and expensive)
windows version of the software they allocate a couple of Mb for stack. Do I
have to tell gcc how big stack I want to use?
Thanks for any hints.
Regards
Erik Eriksson