Where to install the source?

Where is a good place to install the cygwin source?  I've been running
cygwin for about a year now, and I want to try compiling it and some of the
ported programs which aren't included in full.exe, like vim.  By doing
everything cleanly from the start, I'm trying to avoid the problems I had
previously with _ctype_.

So, is there a preferred location to unpack the source, something like
/usr/local/src/cygwin-19990115?  I'm trying to make my life as easy as
possible down the road, when I might have multiple versions of things lying
around.

Also, I notice in the readme file, it mentions that the tools have a
built-in path of /cygnus/cygwin-b20.  Does that mean that I'll have to set
environment variables like GCC_EXEC_PREFIX and BISONLIB if I install
full.exe into a directory other than /cygnus?  Are those the only two
environment variables that I'll have to set or are there others?  If I don't
want to have to set up environment variables to let the tools find their
library files, can I create a symlink from /cygnus to my installation dir?

Another couple questions:

1) I notice that libiberty.a exists in H-i586-cygwin32/i586-cygwin32/lib and
also in H-i586-cygwin32/lib and that these two version have different sizes.
Is that something to worry about?
   77952 Dec  1  1998 ./H-i586-cygwin32/i586-cygwin32/lib/libiberty.a
   73508 Dec  1  1998 ./H-i586-cygwin32/lib/libiberty.a

2) I've installed the 19990115 cygwin1.dll.  There are three other files of
interest in the snapshot-19990115 dir:
   cygwin-inst-19990115.tar.gz
   cygwin-src-19990115.tar.gz
   winsup-src-19990115.tar.gz
I presume that the location for the two source tarballs will be obvious once
I've installed the main sources from dev-src and user-src.  (And I assume
they will overlay the original sources exactly).  But where does the
cygwin-inst tarball go?  It unpacks into four directories:
   bin
   etc
   i586-pc-cygwin32
   lib
There isn't any i586-pc-cygwin32 dir installed from full.exe.  Are these
dirs supposed to mesh somehow with these directories from full.exe:
   cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin
   cygwin-b20/etc
   cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/i586-cygwin32    <<  notice no "-pc-" in name
   cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib
Also, the cygwin1.dll in the bin directory dated 1/16/99 doesn't cmp with
the uncompressed cygwin1-19990115.dll.gz which comes from the
snapshot-19990115 directory.  What's up with that?

Thanks in advance for all your help!  I've read lots of faqs and readme
files and poked around on the related sites page, but if I've missed
something, I'd appreciate it if you could point me to it.

John Wiersba