Newby user library question

	Greetings to the list from a new Cygwin user.  I'm developing on the
Bright Star Engineering ipEngine (Motorola MPC823).  When, in bash, I use
gcc -c to create .o files, then ar -suv to put these files in a library,
then, in another make file, attempt to link using the so-created library,
gcc complains that the "archive has no index."  Running ranlib on the
archive appears to have no effect.
	Have other users encountered this?  What dumb mistake am I making?
	Thanks in advance for any help!
						George Christianson
						University of California
						Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory