E2BIG/EINVAL (was: wildcard expansion once more)

I tried this on Linux (I use cygwin only at work)
apparently exec() (called by bash to execute
the utility) returned EINVAL instead of E2BIG.
so maybe this is a (minor) cygwin problem. but
if this is fixed, ls still won't handle large
args, only you'll see a more accurate error..

it seems to me that bash can handle large
commandlines (I have not found a limit. is
there one?) but other utilities are limited.
I tried ls and echo, which both resulted in
E2BIG -- see below. the builtin echo command
has no such problem. hmmm, now that I think of
it - every utility will have this problem -
exec() itself imposes the limitation, I guess.

echo big/*
(this one works -- echo is shell builtin)

/bin/echo big/*
bash: /bin/echo: Argument list too long

ls big/*
bash: /bin/ls: Argument list too long