need MAKE help

I've been using cygwin B20 and make 3.77 for the past while and most of the features I have needed have worked for MAKE, except for ifeq and ifneq (which I really need), and assigning values to variables.  I recently started using Cygwin 1.1.1 and cannot get make to work at all.  Is there any setup necessary to make this work.  The problem I am having is that - first of all, I can't include any files.  Second, if I don't include any files, i get the error - 'needed by foo.  Stop.arget'. Thanks - Rob