Re: ld -shared

>> "DJ" == DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> writes:

Thanks for your response.

DJ> You have to link against an import library that defines where b
DJ> comes from.  DLLs work differently than shared libraries.

Is there any plans to make them work in the same way as shared
libraries on a Unix machine (I dont know if this is possible or even
desirable!).

I've played around with creating DLLs using import libraries, but I'm
not sure if they will work for my situation.

I have 3 libraries: a base library, A, and two extra ones, B and C,
which add extra functionality to A. B and C are independent to each
other, but both reference A.

For some applications I link solely with A, but other applications
are linked against one or both of B and C plus the base library
A (this is linking under Unix). Hope this make sense!

Making a DLL for A is straight forwards. DLLs for B and C are also
easy to create in isolation, they both use A's import library.

I can see how linking an application against either A, B or C will
work (B and C should automatically include A and so I would not need
to link explicitly against this). But, can I link an application
against both B *and* C without causing a problem since A will now be
included twice.

Thanks for you help.

Cheers,
Jon