RE: Newbie question and thanks

> - Firts Q: I'm running configure as per the email exchange on
> this list
> between Steve Jorgensen, Suhaid Siddique, and Mumit Kahn
> (describing how to
> build the gcc tools to work with cygwin CD v1.0).

If you are using the tools from the cygwin CD, you may want to update to the
latest net release.

> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
> checking for working aclocal... missing
> checking for working autoconf... missing
> checking for working automake... missing
> checking for working autoheader... missing
> checking for working makeinfo... found

Normally these programs are not needed, unless you have patches to the
configure.in or Makefile.am files.  If you need these tools, you can
download the source from ftp.gnu.org or one of its mirrors.  IIRC you may
need to install perl for automake to work.  A version of perl is available
at cygutils.netpedia.net.

> - Second Q: Suhaib indicates in one of his mails that a patch
> he applies
> fails and he fixes this via 'manual editing'... any pointers to a URL,
> example of what this involves?  Or is this something that
> sohould not be
> attempted?

It depends.  Sometimes the patch location has moved just a few lines and it
is obvious how to fix it, in other cases it takes a bit more work.  You will
have to use your own judgement on this.