Re: Win98 and /etc/passwd ??

> Sorry about this maybe silly question:
>
> How to create /etc/passwd on Win98 ?
>
> When trying to run mkpasswd or mkgroup I get an error popup about a
> missing Export-NETAPI32.dll:NatApiBufferFree

mkpasswd/mkgroup only work for WinNT.

> I tried to create /etc/passwd by hand (Empty password) but got "login
> incorrect"
>
> Also the info from inetutils-1.3.2.README did not help.
>
> Any hints / links / READMEs available?

You need to create this file by hand.  The only part that is a pain is
the password it self.  to get a crypted password into a file use the
crypt command as follows

crypt mypasswordhere >>/etc/passwd

This puts the encrypted password in the passwd file with a trailing
\n.  Next edit the file and add the rest of the info needed in passwd,
ie:

username:password:uid:gid:realname:homedir:shell

tom:sdlakjlkwej:500:547:Tom:/home/tom:/bin/bash

NOTE  If you are using ftp as well, and you want to use bash as
your shell create a file called /etc/shells.  Put the following into the
file

/bin/sh
/bin/bash

Otherwise ftp will not function correctly.

Hope this helps,

Tom Weichmann